Hi podcaster —
Is your podcast audience made up of creatives, freelancers, and/or creative entrepreneurs?
If so, I can help your audience feel seen and give them tools to finish and launch their big, ambitious projects.
I’m an author (you may know me from my book and podcast Out on the Wire), a teacher, and a coach, and I help ambitious creative pros and business owners escape the hamster wheel of admin, tasks, and to-dos, and carve out focus and attention for their own highest-priority projects (you know, the ones that always get back-burnered for client-led “emergencies”).
What sets me apart from other strategists and productivity experts is that I work from the assumption that we are not widget-cranking machines. Productivity for its own sake is useless (and soul-killing). Creative work is different, qualitatively, and finishing and launching require specific strategies to reinforce self-belief and understand the typical pitfalls of the creative process.
As a creative pro myself, I bring a deep, personal awareness of the difficulty—and necessity—of putting future-building, speculative work ahead of the day-to-day demands others make on our time.
Some of my key topics:
- How being stuck in the “Dark Forest”—the hardest part of the creative process—can be a very good sign (It means you’re trying something ambitious).
- The two stages where you’re most likely to get stuck in the middle of a huge project
- How to face down perfectionism and finish giant projects that scare the heck out of you.
- What it means to be a finisher, and how that can change your life in ways you don’t expect.
- How to make clear decisions about what you want to achieve, so that clarity can become a litmus test for what you focus on.
- How to stop overstuffing your days, and give yourself margin to breathe and make better decisions.
- How to face your fears about visibility and get clear about what you’re sacrificing by hiding.
I’m Jessica Abel, author of Out on the Wire: the Storytelling Secrets of the New Masters of Radio, and Growing Gills: How to Find Creative Focus When You’re Drowning in Your Daily Life (as well as seven other books of and about comics that are probably less relevant to your podcast!). I’m the founder of the Creative Focus Workshop, the only program specifically designed for serious creative people who are ready to level up and put their real work at the core of how they live their lives.
I’ve produced my own one-and-done podcast season (Out on the Wire) and have guested on quite a number of podcasts—which is one of my favorite ways to connect with people!
I’d love to help your audience get unstuck and making the work the world needs!
The Creative Penn with Joanna Penn
Think Again by Big Think
CopyBlogger with Sonia Simone
The Broad Experience with Ashley Milne-Tyte
Entrepreneurship Elevated with Mike Michalowicz